Song Lyrics Touch Our Hearts and Souls
Updated: Apr 18, 2019
There are certain song lyrics that just please the hell out of me. Listening to music I will often think now that is a great line! Wow!
Song lyrics can make us smile or make our hearts ache. The power may be in the writing and the clever combination of the words or it may be that a singer touches our hearts with her voice.
Often the song lyrics just hit home with what we have experienced in the past
or are experiencing in our lives now.
There are certain songs that take me right back to where I was when I listened to them--there are certain songs that I actually cannot listen to because I get too sad.
On the other side of that, are songs that will always make me happy or always make me want to dance.
I know this is true for so many people.
Music is truly magical.
I started asking people if they had a favorite line or stanza from a song and I got interesting responses which included all different kinds of music. I've compiled a list of favorites from the people I asked (and some of my own all-time faves).
I thought other people may be interested so I am posting the list here on my blog.
Please use the comment section to share your lyrics.
It can be a whole stanza, but NOTE: I will not publish anything denigrating to any sex.
Also, please share your feelings about music and songs.
This is something we can all relate to, and I am eager to hear your thoughts!
In no particular order here we go...
1. "Muscle cars drove a truck right through my heart." Lady Gaga, You and I
2. "I've seen good times and riches and sons of bitches, I've had more than I can recall." Jimmy Buffet, Changes in Latitudes, Changes in Attitudes
3. "So it's gonna be forever, or it's gonna go down in flames. You can tell me when it's over if the high was worth the pain." Taylor Swift, Blank Space
4. "No shoes, no shirt, and I still get serviced." LMFAO, Sexy and I Know It
5. "That Whiskey Drinkin' woman is making a poor man out of me." Nazareth, Whiskey Drinkin' Woman
6. "My heart's jumping, you started something, with them there eyes..." Billie Holliday, Them There Eyes
7. "You know the bed feels warmer sleeping here alone..." Kelly Clarkson, Stronger (What Doesn't Kill You)
8. “And I don’t know who would ever want to tear the seam of someone’s dreams..." Michael Buble, It's a Beautiful Day
9. "You held me down, but I got up, Get ready 'cause I've had enough," Katy Perry, Roar
10. "They didn't have you where I come from, Never knew the best was yet to come. Life began when I saw your face, And I hear your laugh like a serenade." Dixie Chicks, Lullabye
11. "Men are the toys in the game that you play, When you get tired, you throw them away, That's only natural, But why did it have to be me?" ABBA Why Did it have to Be Me
12. "Cause the piano has been drinking, the piano has been drinking, The piano has been drinking, not me, not me, not me, not me, not me." Tom Waits, The Piano Has Been Drinking
13. "The drought was the very worst. When the flowers that we'd grown together died of thirst." Taylor Swift, Clean
14. "What you want, baby I got, And what you need, you know that I''ve got it. All I'm askin' for is a little respect." Aretha Franklin, Otis Redding, Respect
15. "The man with the gun says 'Why'd you buy her a drink?' I said I think she likes me that's what I think,' " Treat Her Right, I think She Likes Me
16. "Don't fear, baby (uh-uh, uh-uh), cause you and me are golden, When you can't breathe (uh-uh, uh-uh), it's you that I'll be holdin' (yeah), Yes, I'm all in, through thick and thin (yeah)This is good loving (uh-huh, uh-huh); you and me are golden." Travie Mccoy, Sia, Golden
17. "You can bend but never break me 'cause it only serves to make me more determined to achieve my final goal," Helen Reddy, I Am Woman
18.“I know he'll be at the party tonight, he'll be lookin' so fine, He'll be surprised when I walk up to say, Man, I wanna make you glad you're alive..." Karen Kamon, Manhunt
19. "I know what you did last summer." Shawn Mendes, I Know What You Did Last Summer
20. "It started with a whisper, And that was when I kissed her, And then she made my lips hurt..." Neon Trees Everybody Talks
Danielle: “You may say I’m a dreamer, but I’m not the only one..” – John Lennon"
Chris: “The best is yet to come and babe, won’t that be fine? You think you’ve seen the sun, but you ain’t seen it shine. It’s a real good bet, the best is yet to come.” – Sinatra
Nancy: “And as we find on down the road, there walks a lady we all know…… And if you listen very hard, the tune will come to you at last…. when all are one and one is all, to be a rock and not to roll.” Led Zeppelin Stairway to Heaven
Dave: "Lordy I have loved some ladies and I have loved some Jim Beam and both tried to kill me in 1973." Hank Williams Family Tradition
Mark: “A chair is still a chair, even when there’s no one sittin’ there But a chair is not a house and a house is not a home When there’s no one there to hold you tight And no one there you can kiss goodnight” Luther Vandross – “House is Not a Home
Marnie “Been there one time, been there two times, never going back again” Fleetwood Mac –Never Going Back Again"
Amanda I know this is two stanzas but I couldn’t resist!
Bob Dylan, Make You Feel My Love
I’d go hungry, I’d go black and blue I’d go crawlin’ down the avenue No, there’s nothin’ that I wouldn’t do To make you feel my love.
The storms are raging on the rollin’ sea And on the highway of regrets The winds of change are blowing wild and free You ain’t seen nothin’ like me yet."
Bryan: “It’s a beautiful day and I can’t stop myself from smiling. ” Michael Buble
“I may not always love you. But as long as there stars above you, you’d never need to doubt it. I’ll make you so sure about it. God only knows what I’d be without you.” Brian Wilson The Beach Boys
Anne: I love this idea. It is so true.
The entire song I Hope You Dance by Lee Ann Womack really but this line in particular: “Time is a wheel in constant motion always rolling us along, Tell me who wants to look back on their years and wonder where those years have gone.”
“Say anything, but say what you mean.” Mae – Suspension
“You see, it’s never bad enough to leave or give up but it’s never good enough to feel right” – Taking Back Sunday, This Photograph is Proof
"Who can say if I’ve been changed for the better but because I knew you I have been changed for good.” Wicked – For Good
“I swear it will get easier Remember that with every piece of ya” Ed Sheeran – Photograph
Also all the lyrics to “Growing Up (Sloane’s Song)” by Macklemore
but if I had to pick a snippet:
“do yoga, learn ’bout karma Find God, but leave the dogma The quickest way to happiness? Learning to be selfless Ask more questions, talk about yourself less”
Barb Kepins: "You Raise Me Up!"
Florence said, "This article went ahead and made my day."
Please post your comments and the song lyrics you love!
#songlyrics #music #magic #writers #singers #dancers #touchoursouls #effectofmusic #dancing #words #happiness #heartache #touching #rockandroll #musicalfun #happyactions #stressreducing #dance #hum #singalong #heartbreak #voices #lyrics #poetry #bands #soloartists #lovely #beauty #arts #sharing