It's an Inside Job: 10 Signs That You're Sabotaging Your Happiness Quest
Updated: Sep 27, 2018
There is nothing outside of you that can make you happy. It's totally an inside job. If you keep looking for answers outside of yourself, you will stay stuck in your swirling midst of angst and uncertainty. It's an inside job. Check out this list to see if you are making these common mistakes in your search to be happy.
1) There is a disconnect between what you say you want and what you actually let into your life. For example, you say you want less negativity, yet you listen to negative people gossip or complain. Even though you may not add to the conversation, you stick around and listen. You say you want more time with your family but you keep signing up for committees and jobs that take you away from them. View your behavior from an outside vantage point, and be honest with how you are spending your time and ultimately, your life.
2) The majority of your diet consists of junk food. Happiness has many components and feeling good and being healthy will greatly assist you on your happiness journey. Try for 80-20. Eighty percent of the time you eat healthy foods and twenty percent of the time you let yourself indulge in some junky stuff.
3) You don't get any exercise. There are so many activities and choices of ways to move your body. You CAN find a form of exercise that will appeal. If nothing else, a fifteen minute walk a day can do wonders.
4) You complain for longer than 5 minutes at a time. We all have to clear our minds of thoughts that are bothering us, but complaining and going over and over what is bothering you DOES NOT help. It is not a positive action. Take that time to brainstorm and come up with ideas to change what is bothering you.
5) You don't make an effort to help other people. We are all connected and your refusal to reach out and connect can seriously affect your well being. We are all busy but your happiness will be increased if you connect with others. Even a smile and a hello to someone you don't know can make you happier.
6) You neglect your health care. Regular check-ups, chiropractic visits, and dental care will help you stay attuned to your body and its needs so you will know when and if something is wrong. You may catch something before it impacts your health adversely.
7) You refuse to look closely at your finances. Ignorance is not bliss and your happiness will be impacted if you refuse to acknowledge that you may be spending too much and not saving.
8) You approach everything very seriously, not allowing time to relax, unwind and laugh. Laughing every day is one of the most powerful stress reducers and you will feel better after every laughing session.
9) You abuse drugs, alcohol or food. Too much is too much. Acknowledge if you have a problem in this area and get help. You will be happier.
10) You don't take time to be alone with your thoughts and dreams. Whether you take five minutes to just sit calmly and relax with no distractions, or you start regular meditation sessions, you need to have quiet in your life.
Happiness is an inside job. It is no one else's job to make you happy, and the answers are not outside. You have all the answers inside of you. Take the time to hear what your body and mind already know.
I would love to hear your thoughts about this post. Click Here to Share Your Thoughts
Rachel said "This article was fantastic! I love how it covers so many different parts of your life. I really needed this, and it made me think about how much I was actually doing to make myself happy."
Cindy said "It is all about the daily decisions. Thank you for the reminder. =)"
Diana Fletcher said in response to both Cindy and Rachel "I think we all need reminders about these decisions and choices we make every day. Thanks for the comments!"